From the OFFICE of EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT:
Power outages can occur anytime of the year not just in the winter. Carbon monoxide can be produced from a variety of different sources such as: Automobiles running in garages; gasoline, propane, or diesel-fueled appliances; lawn mowers; snow blowers; generators; furnaces; gas hot water heaters; clothes dryers; natural gas or propane refrigerators; ranges; ovens; space heaters; gas logs; wood fireplaces; and many other appliances that requires fuel to burn. Here are some very important safety tips residents should be aware of:
You can’t see it, smell it or taste it.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a subject that people know very little about. Not only can it kill you, it can cause permanent neurological damage in the longer term. In the short term, it can make you feel ill and inhibit your life potential.
Check the flame color.
Check the flue, is it blocked?
Is there adequate ventilation?
When were your appliances last checked?
Do you suffer from unexplained illnesses, Fatigue, Muscle pains , Upset stomach, Lethargy, Dizziness, Headaches?
The most important thing that you can do to protect yourself and your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning is to get a carbon monoxide detector alarm with a low level indicator.
|Concentration of CO in air||Inhalation time and toxic developed|
|50 parts per million (ppm)||Safety level as specified by the Health and Safety Executive|
|200 PPM||Slight headache within 2-3 hours|
|400 PPM||Frontal headache within 1-2 hours, becoming widespread in 3 hours|
|800 PPM||Dizziness, nausea, convulsions within 45 minutes, insensible in 2 hours|
Carbon Monoxide poisons by entering the lungs via the normal breathing mechanism and displacing oxygen from the bloodstream. Interruption of the normal supply of oxygen puts at risk the functions of the heart, brain and other vital functions of the body.
The above information is for a healthy adult. Persons suffering from heart or respiratory health problems, infants and small children, unborn children, expectant mothers and pets can be affected by CO poisoning more quickly than others in the household and may be the first to show symptoms.
Richard M. Possinger
Emergency Management Coordinator